I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Building a sun, one word at a time

You came from those pale blue eyes,
disregarding all my concerns and opinions,
at such a time in my life when I almost did not exist.
You came in my life, like music from another ocean,
With unfamiliar rhythms and tragedy.
Your words and songs made little sense to me.
I had not begun to understand then.
What did you expect of me, I was only
a kid from rough end of the village,
unlettered in your ways and language,
interested more in my existence than your resurrection?

Because it was dark when I came to this world,
I wanted to place another sun in the sky.
I spent hours, working often late into nights,
Trying to build a sun out of my available resources.
In the scheme of things which is greater than I can comprehend,
Perhaps there ought not to be two suns in the same sky,
And half a dozen suns can never dispel the darkness within.
I have realized that certain things must be left the way they are
and original order of creation being one among them. Since then,
I have abandoned my project, although I am no quitter.
Now, I understand, my existence in eternity is
a function of your resurrection in reality.
So, I say let night be night and it is perfect, perfect like the weather.
Let dust cover my face and name and that too is perfect,
As perfect as a flower blooming in the distant memory.
Your words when spelt out become stars in my sky.
Be my sun, simply, O Lord, in the dark sky of my soul.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed