I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Friday, April 11, 2008

Upon finding a rusted key on the side-walk

I
Upon finding a key rusted by time and dirt
On the side-walk of a busy street, I wondered
What a strange place for a key to be,
A key with such sturdy features and reliable outlook!
It might have, once upon a time, opened
A whole range of mountains or an archipelago.
No one can ever tell for sure.
I decided to save it as a memento.
One day, I may invent a history for it
And reunite to its many mysteries.

II
There are many ways to God.
And to Him is drawn
Each one by a road paved
In a manner differently from all others.

A verse for every man,
For every man there is a verse written,
In the Book of Life.
When armed with that verse,

Alone and with nothing else,
Man can cross the Sahara barefoot and
Lift the earth into the realms of heaven
Without lifting so much as a little finger.

III
I say:
Love first, then knowledge.
And again, I say:
Love more than knowing.
Lead, O love, to that abundant knowing
And abundant union.

IV
Though fully clothed, I am naked.
Where I stand, space has no dimension,
Or should I say infinitely dimensional?
Although I have a name it is only a formality here.
If one speaks it is without substance.
Silence is the lingua franca around here,
Being rich in vocabulary.
But, love, I am told, is a language which needs no speaking.
O love,
Is this key, rusted and soiled by time and dirt -
The sum total of my annihilated being,
The key to that love among ruins?

2 comments:

Angelicbob said...

Hey, the first verse reminds me of Chesterton's free and easy outlook on life, which can be seen in many of his writings, but I think the first verse mirrors best the essay "what I found in my pocket" from his "Tremendous Trifles" collection, heres a link.

http://www.online-literature.com/chesterton/tremendous-trifles/15/

Gabe said...

Thanks angelicbob!
gabe

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed