I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Sunday, May 25, 2008

I am returning a few things

From behind the aisle decked with
juicy cantaloupes and apples and more apples,
from a pair of anonymous eyes,
two hummingbirds darted off to where
I am picking up a box of cereals
for breakfast and I see her seeing me.
I have not turned into a pillar of salt
and she has not turned into a heap of ashes!
Who is she? What is she doing among these carnivores?
Is she also one among them crocodiles?
Sated momentarily,
having fed on half the human race.

Be whatever that you may
I am returning without a contest
these eyes shaped like hummingbird
to your hyacinth head filled with springtime
while retaining this drop of pure and ancient light
as my own.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed