I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Learning to walk

City of dream
A city in a dream
Descending
With a strange joyous melancholy
Of a church bell
Ringing
Far somewhere in the sky
Upon the shadowed walls of

Dreaming
Dreams with thousand walls
Walls with thousand doors
If these doors did not open into one dream
If these dreams did not wake up into one river
And if this river did not flow into itself
Would I crumble and fall back
As broken water
Upon an abandoned altar

Here

Amidst all the unmapped corners
And forgotten census
Let me pause to offer
A simple hymn to God of Resurrection
And fruitfulness and happy death

That

For a change
I may kick the habit of being myself
And stretch out the boulevards
Unfold all the avenues and vistas
Heat up the sidewalks scorched by winter
Open wide the gates of freshly baked bread
And malls of fleshy grapes of succulent life
Perhaps in such imagining
Life may find a brief respite from its many schemes

I can not hold on for long to
The leftover laughter of yesterday’s carnival
I will have to build shelters
To shelter the homeless thoughts

For

What are books without pages
What are pages without thoughts
And what are thoughts without men
And what are dreams if we can not undream them
To chart out a new blueprint for a
Full measure of an undetermined destiny
And a little cottage at the edge
Of an expanding town

For a change
Let me raise my hands and touch
My furrowed forhead
For a change
Let me no longer pretend at undreaming
And perchance wake up free of harsh regrets

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed