I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

In the Garden of Eden

I have often wondered at how God is presented as an angry God in the Book of Genesis. I can not fathom why he was so angry with Adam and Eve. He is, after all, an omniscient God; therefore, He must have foreseen Adam and Eve committing the first sin of the creation. So, when that which He already knew would happen finally happened, why was God so angry? He could have either prevented it or started all over again. In fact, He is known to have brought down death and destruction over the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for their sinful way of living. He is also known to have brought on a flood that covered the earth for days to cleanse the earth by wiping out its sinful inhabitants. He knew the sin of Adam and Eve would perpetuate and affect the whole humanity. So He could have simply shortened their days and create anew. No, He did not do that, and instead, He cursed them and expelled them from the Garden of Eden. This story baffles me. It contradicts our idea of Him as a good and compassionate God.
When I read of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, I simply try to imagine a softer story line. Perhaps I am wrong, but that is what I generally do whenever I read the story of creation in the Book of Genesis. We believe that God is omniscient, knowing the past, present and what is to come in the future. He always knew that no matter what He did, man would always commit sin. Therefore, He did not see any use in starting a new creation. Realizing that, He let them leave the Garden of Eden. And the young couple set forth to explore new frontiers. Also, I would like to imagine that God, being compassionate, told them He would always be with them, through thick and thin, till the end of time. When I think of God, I like to think of Him as the father in the story of the prodigal son.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed