I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Monday, January 14, 2008

Wedding at Cana

Recently, I was in our local public library and was casually looking at some of the books with interesting titles, and chanced upon a book titled Custodians of Truth (not the complete title of the book). I wondered what truth it was talking about. As I began reading, I found out that this book talks about our Lord’s marital status and his bloodline. It draws its conclusion on His marriage from John chapter 2 verses 5 and 7. I thought the book was trying to provide some semblance of evidence. So naturally, I was interested and did some reading. In verse 5, I find Mary asking the servants to do what Jesus told them to do. And in verse 7, Jesus was asking the servants to fill the waterpots. The book (Custodian) claims that they would not do this unless they were also members of the groom’s household. Because, in Jewish society, in events such as wedding, only members of the groom’s family could call the servants to duty. And from there, the book takes a big leap to the conclusion that wedding at Cana was our Lord’s own wedding. I was hoping to find citation of some hard evidence, something like an ancient marriage certificate or things of that sort. But none was mentioned. I was disappointed, to say the least. After further reading John chapter 2, I came to my own conclusion that verses 5 and 7 do not get Jesus married off to anyone. I think Jesus could not have been the groom in the wedding at Cana for the following reasons:
Verse 1 says “….mother of Jesus was there.” This does not make her a member of the groom’s household. Perhaps she was there as a relative, cousin, neighbor or an invited guest.
Verse 2 says “...Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.” How can the groom be invited to his own wedding? Never heard of such a tradition!
In verse 3, mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” If she was the mother of the groom then I would expect Mary saying “We have no wine” as opposed to “They have no wine.”
In Verse 4 Jesus told His mother having no wine was none of His concerns. Would He have said that if He was the groom? Not likely.

Here is John 2 (NKJV). Take a look.
On the third day there was a wedding at Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
2 Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.
3 And when they ran out of wine, mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”
4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever he says to you, do it.”
6 Now there set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece.
7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim.
8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed