I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Is it wrong to put the Lord to the test?

Although it is commanded that one should not put the Lord to the test, He Himself, from time to time, challenges His people to test Him. I find at least two such instances in the Bible:
In Isaiah 7: 11-14
Ask a sign of the Lord your God; let it be as deep as the Sheol or as high as heaven.
12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask and I will not put the Lord to the test.
13 Then Isaiah said, “Hear then O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also?
14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign. Look the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name Him Immanuel.
And again in Malachi 3: 10
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed