I will lift up my eyes to the hills-
from whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord
Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalm 121:1, 2)

Face of Man

Face of Man
Jacqueline du Pre

Friday, February 8, 2008

On the Heights of Calvary

For many,
It begins here,
Upon this very mountain,
Upon Calvary,
A journey.

A river also begins,
As if from an undiscovered fountain,
“To run towards the world,”
Towards itself,
A crucifix.

Upon this new Calvary,
Upon this banquet table,
Upon the altar,
We break the bread of flesh,
We pour the wine of blood.

In breaking of the bread,
We take up our own crown of thorns.
In drinking of the wine,
We climb upon the cross.

On the cross with Him,
We hang, in spirit,
On the other side.

In dying, we die with Him
In rising, we rise with Him
Clothed in new body and
Crowned with new spirit.

(The expression “To run towards
the world” is borrowed from
Poem of the Man-God by Maria Valtorta)

2 comments:

Catherine Nolan said...

Nice! I don't know a lot of other people who read Maria Valtorta. The quote reminds me of the title of a poem by Richard Wilbur - "Love Calls Us to the Things of This World."

Gabe said...

Thank you, Catherine, for your kind comment and for sharing a Richard Wilbur poem. It is beautiful. I have been reading some of Maria Valtorta’s writings online. Her accounts of life and ministry of Jesus and lives of people around Him are much more detailed than in any of the four Gospels. I find that she makes the divine Jesus very human and accessible emotionally. To note, however, there is still a debate as to whether her writings are work of fiction or divine revelation. But I guess, that will always be there!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed